Symptoms of Post traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD Treatment Complex Post traumatic Stress Disorder Car / Motor Vehicle Accidents & PTSD Violence (Domestic and Other) Sexual Assault Armed Robbery Child Abuse & PTSD Dissociation Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) Depression & PTSD Other Disorders and PTSD Marriage problems & Other relationship problems with PTSD Work Accidents and PTSD Returning to Work after suffering from PTSD Therapy Costs & Medicare Rebates Books & Resources on Post traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD links Contact Post traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) PTSD Psychologist / Therapist Acute Stress Disorder (ASD) Supporting PTSD Sufferers Natural Disasters & PTSD Alcohol and Other Drugs War Veterans PTSD in Children Post traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - PTSD Treatment in Australia PTSD following Natural Disasters

NATURAL DISASTERS and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Earthquakes, tsunamis, cyclones, floods, drought, bushfires, etc. all have potential to produce Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, depression, dissociative disorders, and a range of other psychological difficulties.

The emotional reactions are not infrequently complex due to the fact that the traumatic experiences themselves are often complex and diffuse. They are also often accompanied by material loss, financial hardship, and/or physical injuries. A number of people, sometimes relatives and friends, may also be party to the disaster, therefore further complicating a person's emotional response.

In the early stages after a disaster, practical support will often be more important than therapy. However with severe or enduring emotional reactions an initial assessment with a GP or therapist is recommended.

For details how to find a therapist / psychologist near you with expertise in PTSD treatment

click here PTSD Psychologist / Therapist.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This page and this site describes general information about PTSD which may not apply to your situation. Information should NOT be used for diagnosis or treatment purposes. You should consult a GP, Clinical Psychologist, or other mental health professional for advice on your symptoms and the most appropriate treatment(s).